Saturday, August 2, 2008

Hail, Caesar!

At Wonderfest I was asked to demonstrate my sketch techniques by drawing Charlton Heston, a cinematic hero in the eyes of many WFesters. I honored that request, and did a caricature of Big Chuck as Col. Taylor from the original PLANET OF THE APES. I had one hour, and I had left my reference photos back at the hotel. Thankfully, a gracious vendor and Linda Harrison ("Nova") came to my rescue, lending me a few of their stills to work from. The piece came out fine, and was sold at one of the WF charity auctions later that day (so I don't have a photo of it to share we you here).


It occured to me that day - as I was once again drawing Heston - that I haven't drawn enough apes. I should draw more apes.


This is the kind of stuff that goes through my brain.


Top: Roddy McDowall from CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.
Bottom: From 2000, Maurice Evans as the crafty Dr. Zaius.

No comments: