Thursday, June 11, 2009

Delbert Winans, 1949 - 2009


I got home from dinner Monday night around 11 pm to find a message on my phone. It was from Scott MacQueen, asking that I call him upon getting the message. He sounded serious, so I called immediately, at which point Scott informed me that our friend Delbert Winans had passed away that afternoon. I gasped, because I had just received an email from Delbert earlier in the day, and had spoken to him on the phone the night before.

I have been working closely with Delbert for the past eight months, on the project Gary mentions above. Now it was called the MONSTER BEASTRO, and we were well along in it's development. It appeared that Delbert was finally going to see his dream come true.

I'm still in a bit of shock. He was so very happy with the artwork I had done, and how the website was coming. Not only that, but a major cable network was interested in filming the creation of the restaurant as a reality series. That he has left us now seems so unfair.

Delbert had a collection of posters and lobbycards that any genre fan would be envious of. Almost all of the ones on display in his office were signed by the original stars. He was so proud of them. He also produced a great number of spectacular sculptures, working with Henry Alvarez and many other talented artists. Many were created for Disney's catalogues.

Delbert was sweet, funny and very passionate about classic movies. He had made plans for us to visit with Ron Borst later this month. He was, indeed, a true Monster Kid.

I didn't know him for very long, but I know I will miss him for much longer.

No comments: